King O Mill West Lydford Mill Stream

West Lydford and Barton Mills

­Lydford Mill

Records show that Lydford Mill was in existence in 1086. It was probably the manor mill in the late 14th century and was milling wheat, corn and malt. Major repairs were undertaken in the early part of the 15thcentury including the building of a weir. At this time there were two mills on each bank of the stream with two water wheels. In the middle of the 17th century a major rebuild was undertaken and it remained in use until the 1890’s.It was taken over in the 1840’s by the Chancellor family who moved from King 'O' Mill. The mill house and mill building still stand and are now part of Mill Farm.

­[Water grist mill. Circa mid C18 rebuilding of an earlier mill. Coursed stone rubble, partly weatherboarded. Corrugated sheet steel roof with gabled ends. PLAN: originally 2 mills one on either bank of mill stream, with 2 water-wheels between. In circa mid C18 rebuilt as single 4-bay range over the mill stream. EXTERIOR: 1 and 2 storeys. Roof carried over gap at centre over stream. Unglazed wooden mullion window in north end. INTERIOR: not inspected but documentary evidence shows the north mill as single-storeyed, with a wooden hurst frame supporting a single bedstone, wooden wheelshaft and wooden arms of the pit-wheel; it is a rare survival of a single-step drive mill. The south mill is of 2 storeys, 2 bays with circa mid C18 wooden machinery of 2- step drive type with upright shaft powering 2 pairs of millstones and wooden crown-wheels, the lower millstones complete with spindles and wooden stone nuts; in about the mid C19 the pit-wheel and wallower were replaced in iron. Circa mid C18 roof trusses with collars, trenched purlins, studs and weatherboarding to partition. The Old Mill spans a millstream on the River Brue. Source Somerset HER

Kingham Mill

Later called King a Mill was in existence certainly from the early 14th century and was recorded as a grist mill in 1598. In the middle of the eighteenth century it was owned by the Chancellor family until they moved to Lydford Mill in the 1840’s. It continued in operation until the beginning of the second world war. The mill and mill house are now a residential property.­

Barton Mill

Located beside Tootle Bridge on the Brue. There were two mills recorded in 1086. One was converted to a fulling mill in 1636. In the late 18th century it was owned by Sheat family who were millers and bakers. In the mid 18th century it was worked by Samuel Wilkins and son and employed local people until the end of the century. It ceased operations in 1923. It has since been converted to a guest house with an arched recess for the wheel.